Thriving as an Associate Professor Series
The Thriving as an Associate Professor Series is a set of seminars designed to assist mid-career faculty in strategizing for a successful career.
To register, please RSVP to email@example.com at least one week prior to the seminar.
Evaluating Junior Faculty’s P&T Dossier
September 18, 2018
1030 NCSA, 1205 W Clark St, Urbana
The internal evaluation of a candidate’s teaching, research, and service is an integral piece of the Promotion & Tenure dossier. In this session, we will discuss what you can do when your unit asks you to review your junior colleague’s P&T papers. Learn some of the best practices and practical strategies to help you prepare a fair and thorough evaluation.
- Provost Communication #9
- Preparing the Promotion and Tenure Dossier
- Peer Review of Teaching, Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching
Leading from the Middle: Administrative Career Paths
November 6, 2018
Heritage Room, ACES Library, 1101 S Goodwin Ave, Urbana
Administration is one career path faculty members can take in academia. But what does that mean and what does it take when associate professors consider these leadership roles? Whether you are considering administration as a next step or simply curious about it, this session may help as we engage in a candid dialogue with colleagues who have taken on a variety of administrative roles on campus and discuss their journey, decisions, regrets, and successes when they pursued this path.
- How to Cultivate Faculty Leaders, The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professor or Administrator?, The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Becoming an Authority Figure, National Center for Professional & Research Ethics
Difficult Conversations: A Special Session with C.K. Gunsalus
March 13, 2019
404 Illini Union, 1401 W Green St, Urbana
C.K. Gunsalus is a leading expert in helping academics learn to deal with difficult situations, sensitive issues, and conflicts. In this session, she will bring her humorous wit, expansive knowledge, and common sense approach to help you learn to communicate and engage when faced with thorny problems with colleagues, students, and others.
- The Art of Having Difficult Conversations, Inside Higher Ed
- Personal Scripts, National Center for Professional & Research Ethics
- Preparing for Difficult Conversations, Coursera
How Do You Know When You Are Ready for Promotion?
April 17, 2019
210 Levis Faculty Center, 919 W Illinois St, Urbana
How do you know whether you have established a strong case for promotion to full professor? In this session, we will discuss the markers for successful promotion and learn from colleagues who have recently navigated the promotional process at Illinois.
- You Might Not Be Ready for Promotion, The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Telling Your Tenure Story, Inside Higher Ed
- Post-Tenure Pathways, Inside Higher Ed
If you have questions about these workshops, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.