Provost’s Communications are designed to assist units with recruiting, evaluating, and retaining academic personnel of the highest quality, and to guide faculty and staff in their academic careers at Illinois.
Please contact the appropriate Provost’s staff member to answer questions regarding any of the Provost’s Communications.
Recently Updated Provost Communications:
Communication #6: Named Faculty Appointments has been updated and is effective as of January 2017.
Communication #9: Promotion and Tenure has been updated and is effective as of May 2017.
Planning and Budgeting
- Communication #2: Offering Academic Positions
- Communication #3: Appointments of Faculty, Specialized Faculty, and Academic Professionals
- Communication #4: Faculty Excellence Program
- Communication #5: Term Professorial Appointments (“Q” and “W” Appointments)
- Communication #6: Named Faculty Appointments (updated; effective as of January 2017)
- Communication #7: Targets of Opportunity Program (TOP)
- Communication #8: Dual Career Academic Couples Program
Promotion and Tenure
- Communication #9: Promotion and Tenure (updated; effective as of May 2017)
Retirements, Resignations, and Termination of Faculty and Staff
- Communication #10: Guidelines and Procedures for Notice of Nonreappointment for Nontenured Faculty Members and for Denials of Promotion Not Linked to Tenure Decisions
- Communication #11: Guidelines and Procedures for Notice of Nonreappointment for Academic Professional Employees and Other Members of the Academic Staff
- Communication #12: Policy for Awarding Emeritus/Emerita Status
Probationary Period/Tenure Track Faculty
- Communication #13: Review of Faculty in Year Three of the Probationary Period
- Communication #14: Special Tenure Code Provision for Appointments Beginning After the Eighth Week of the Academic Year
- Communication #15: Effect of Leave Without Pay on the Probationary Period
- Communication #16: Policy on Interruptions of the Probationary Period (Tenure Code Rollbacks)
- Communication #21: Annual Faculty Review
- Communication #22: Annual Review of Academic Professional Employees
- Communication #23: Appointment and Review of Faculty Members with Budgeted Joint Appointments
- Communication #24: Five-Year Review of Administrators
- Communication #25: Employment Guidelines for Specialized Faculty Holding Non-Tenure Systems
- Communication #26: Promotion to Teaching, Research or Clinical Associate or Full Professor Titles