Using the research-based curriculum Entering Mentoring, the goal of this series is to facilitate the process of becoming an effective mentor by providing an intellectual framework, opportunities to experiment with various methods, and a safe and confidential learning forum in which to solve mentoring dilemmas.
Pfund, Branchaw, & Handelsman, 2014
“Effective mentoring can be learned, but not taught. Most faculty learn to mentor by experimenting and analyzing success and failure, and many say that the process of developing an effective method of mentoring takes years… A skilled mentor is guided by a reflective philosophy that directs examination of the mentee’s challenging needs and how to best address them, creating fluidity in the relationship.”
Most topics in the series are “stand alone,” and thus participants can choose to attend only sessions that interest them the most; however, to build community among participants, attendance in most or all of the sessions is highly encouraged.
Who should attend?
These sessions are open to tenure-stream and specialized faculty members of all ranks, and post-doctoral fellows.
Mentoring Matters Distinguished Lecture
Jen Heemstra, Chair and Charles Allen Thomas Professor of Chemistry at Washington University in Saint Louis, gave the 2023 Distinguished Lecture on Mentoring.
Mentoring Matters Summer Institute
- Day 1: Tuesday, June 20, 2023
- Day 2: Wednesday, June 21, 2023
The Evidence for Mentorship Training to Support Impactful Mentorship
- The Evidence for Mentorship Training to Support Impactful Mentorship Presentation
- Promoting Self-Efficacy Presentation
- Promoting Self-Efficacy Handout
Maintaining Effective Communication
- Maintaining Effective Communication Presentation
- Effective Communication Styles Scoring Form
- Constructive and Destructive Group Behaviors
Tools That Support Structured Career Conversations
- Tools Supporting Career Conversations Presentation
- Tools Supporting Career Conversations Handout
Be ‘system’atic: cultivating positive lab culture and equitable mentoring through lab policies
- Be “system’atic” Presentation
Addressing Diversity, Inclusion and Equity
- Addressing Diversity, Inclusion and Equity Presentation
- Addressing Diversity, Inclusion and Equity Handout
- Aligning Expectations Presentation
See the Mentoring Matters @ Illinois Series Archive for topics in previous academic years.