Faculty Development & Mentoring
All levels of the University share a responsibility for faculty development and mentoring. At Illinois, the Provost’s Office is committed to supporting these activities, which are vital to the success of faculty. We offer a variety of resources and programs to foster the growth and development of faculty careers.
The Provost’s Office has designed programs intended to supplement and enhance efforts by departments and colleges to provide ongoing and sustainable development and mentoring for their faculty, particularly junior faculty.
Colleges, schools, and departments provide opportunities that enhance faculty careers and ensure that faculty members have the tools and information necessary to realize their full potential. We invite you to peruse faculty development resources on the Seminars & Workshops page. Included are programs that are hosted by the Office of the Provost which are designed for eligible full-time faculty, as well as programs that are offered by other universities and organizations. The Provost’s Office offers limited funding assistance for faculty members to participate in these off-campus programs. Learn more by visiting each page at the links provided.
- Annual Faculty Retreat (coordinated by the Center for Innovation in Teaching & Learning)
- Building Pathways for Emerging Leaders at Illinois
- Faculty Women in the Classroom Conversation Group
- Faculty Women of Color in the Academy National Conference (FWCA)
- Illinois New Faculty Orientation (INFO)
- Mentoring Matters at Illinois Workshop Series
- National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity
- Provost Fellows Program
- Purdue University Conference for Pre-tenure Women
- Reading Day Workshops for Assistant Professors
- Teaching Resources
- Thriving as an Associate Professor Series
- Through the Faculty Ranks Series
Faculty mentoring influences not just the success of individual faculty, but the intellectual culture and achievement of the entire unit. The Illinois strives to be a vibrant and supportive institution where faculty can reach their highest aspirations in teaching, research, and service. Faculty mentoring is a crucial component of this process. Learn more about the fundamentals of faculty mentoring, and specifically Mentoring at Illinois.
The Provost’s Office has compiled various resources that are available to Illinois faculty. In addition to those described in the sections above, there are many reference materials from Box in the Illinois Faculty Resources folder. (University of Illinois login credentials required. Check this folder periodically for additional resources.)
Visit the pages at the links on the left-hand navigation menu for additional resources.