Outstanding Faculty Leadership Award
The Outstanding Faculty Leadership Award recognizes a faculty member who has provided extraordinary leadership contributions across many dimensions of shared governance (e.g., committee work, chair of task force, service in the Senate) that advance the excellence of a department, a college, and/or the campus, and who exemplifies the campus commitment to collaborative decision-making. This award is the highest accolade honoring a faculty member whose professional service has advanced progress toward the Illinois mission. The award includes an honorarium and a personalized commemorative plaque.
Contact your college to determine its deadline for departmental submissions.
March 15 – Deadline for college or campus-level unit nominations to be submitted.
*When a deadline falls on a weekend or campus holiday, nominations will be due the next business day.
- Tenure-system or specialized faculty member at Illinois
- Provided committed service of significant value in several instances (committees, task forces, etc.)
- Has not won this award in the previous 5 years
- Senate Executive Committee Chair and Senate Educational Policy Committee Chair are not eligible for this award, nor are campus-level administrators (g., in the offices of the Chancellor, Provost, or deans, and directors of centers such as Beckman and IGB, for example)
- Demonstration of the candidate’s strong commitment to shared governance
- Demonstrated ability of the candidate to work with multiple constituencies
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing the excellence of a department, a college, and/or the campus through extraordinary leadership within a service capacity
- Exemplary leadership skills that aid groups of individuals to advance novel initiatives or needed change
Candidates may be nominated by other faculty member(s), a unit executive officer, or dean.
Nomination packets must include all materials described below, and should be formatted in 12-point Times New Roman or equivalent font; single-spaced; and 1-inch margins.
|A. Standard cover page||Attachment A||
|B. Nomination letter||Address evaluation criteria described above.||
|C. Self-statement from nominee||Discuss the value of shared governance and strategies for effecting change across diverse issues and among multiple constituencies within the institution.||
|D. Three letters of support from individuals such as:
· Faculty member
|Specific examples of the nominee’s commitment to shared governance and his/her ability to bring about effective change.||
|E. Supporting letter from college dean||Discuss nominee’s qualifications and how s/he meets criteria.||
Nominations must be submitted using the online form by 11:59 p.m. March 15. If this date falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline is 11:59 p.m. the next business day.
Nominations will be reviewed by the Campus Awards & Honors Committee, who will make a recommendation to the Provost. Recipient(s) and their nominator(s) will be notified by mid-April. Awards are presented at the annual Celebration of Academic Service and Leadership Excellence.
See previous recipients of Campus Awards for Excellence in Faculty Leadership.