College of Fine and Applied Arts
Art & Design – Majors
Art & Art History
Students apply to one of the following majors in the College of Fine and Applied Arts (FAA): Art Education, Art & Art History, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Photography, Studio Art (BA) or Studio Art (BFA). Studio Art concentrations (General studio art, new media, painting, printmaking, and sculpture) are declared March 1 in the first year of study. Undecided majors apply to Art Undeclared. Art Undeclared students will declare their Art & Design major March 1 of their first year of study. First-year coursework for all students will include courses in drawing, 2D, 3D, and 4D practices.
- Policies and Procedures for Intercollegiate Transfer
- Minimum GPA of 2.00 (2.50 for Art Education)
- Students should apply preferably no later than the sophomore year.
- Students will need four years to complete degree requirements after transfer, unless they’ve completed 1 course in each of the following categories.
- Drawing: ARTF 102 (Observational Drawing), ARTF 104 (Expressive Drawing), ARTF 106 (Visualization Drawing)
- 2D: ARTD 151 (Intro to Graphic Design), ARTS 251 (Beginning Painting), ARTD 160 (The Image World), ARTS 205 (Intro to Printmaking)
- 3D: ARTD 101 (Intro to Industrial Design), ARTS 201 (Crafts Design), ARTS 280 (Beginning Sculpture)
- 4D: ARTS 241 (Image Practice), ARTS 243 (Time Arts I), ARTS 244 (Interaction I)
Applications are due by November 1 for Spring admission. Applications are due by March 1 for Fall admission. Portfolios will be required for admission. Detailed information on portfolio requirements, submission dates, and the submission process is available at: http://www.art.illinois.edu/index.php/prospective/academics/admissions/intercollege-transfer-admissions.
The School of Art and Design will contact the student after admission to notify them of their advisor’s name. The student will be responsible for setting up the initial appointment.