Excellence in Faculty Mentoring Award
The Excellence in Faculty Mentoring Award recognizes a faculty member who has demonstrated an outstanding commitment to faculty mentoring by actively assisting pre-tenure and mid-career faculty in developing their career(s). Exceptional mentoring can include offering advice, feedback and guidance on research activities, coaching on work-life balance issues, providing professional opportunities for mentees, and/or assisting in development of teaching skills. The award includes an honorarium and a personalized commemorative plaque.
Contact your college to determine its deadline for departmental submissions.
March 15 – Deadline for college or campus-level unit nominations to be submitted.
*When a deadline falls on a weekend or campus holiday, nominations will be due the next business day.
- Tenured faculty member at Illinois
- Served as a faculty mentor, in a formal or informal capacity, to several junior and/or mid-career faculty over a continuous period at Illinois
- Scholar with demonstrated success in the areas s/he mentors (e.g., research, teaching)
- Has not won this award in the previous 5 years
- Campus-level administrators (e.g., in the offices of the Chancellor and Provost, and deans) are not eligible
- A demonstrated commitment to fostering the intellectual, creative, scholarly, and professional growth of her/his mentees so that they may function effectively and with measurable success at Illinois and at the national/international level
- Evidence of sustained commitment to a professional mentoring relationship that results in career growth or personal development of mentees
A faculty mentor may be nominated by previous or current mentees, faculty colleagues, or his/her unit executive officer.
Nomination packets must include all materials described below, and should be formatted in 12-point Times New Roman or equivalent font; single-spaced; and 1-inch margins.
|A. Standard cover page||Attachment A||1|
|B. Nomination letter||Address evaluation criteria described above.||3|
|C. Self-statement from nominee||Discuss personal goals and accomplishments, philosophy, and/or outcomes associated with faculty mentoring activities.||2|
|D. Up to three letters of support from individuals such as:
· Past or present mentees
|Specific examples of the mentor-mentee partnership that fostered career growth, and/or provided value to faculty development within the unit.||2 pages each|
|E. Supporting letter from college dean||Discuss nominee’s qualifications and how s/he meets criteria.||2|
Nominations must be submitted using the online form by 11:59 p.m. March 15. If this date falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline is 11:59 p.m. the next business day.
Nominations will be reviewed by the Campus Awards & Honors Committee, who will make a recommendation to the Provost. Recipient(s) and their nominator(s) will be notified by mid-April. Awards are presented at the annual Celebration of Academic Service and Leadership Excellence.
See previous recipients of Campus Awards for Excellence in Faculty Leadership.