University Endowed Chairs
Walgreen Chairs are held by individuals whose intellect and accomplishments place them among the most distinguished in their respective field(s), as affirmed by such recognition as Nobel or Pulitzer Prizes or by evidential works. The holders of the chairs shall be designated as “Walgreen Fellows.”
- Michael Moore, Law
Campus-wide Endowed Chairs & Professors
The Michael Aiken Chair was established in honor of former University Chancellor Michael Aiken for his devotion to enhancing the quality of teaching, research, and service across campus. The Michael Aiken Chair is supported by a gift from Mr. and Mrs. Robert C. Campbell and other sources, and honors a distinguished faculty member on the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus.
- Jiawei Han, Computer Science
- Andrew Leakey, Plant Biology
The Ikenberry Endowed Chair was established in honor of Stanley O. Ikenberry’s tenure as the 14th President of the University of Illinois. The Ikenberry Chair is funded by a gift from Geraldine B. Cooke and other sources, and honors a distinguished faculty member on the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus.
- Charles Gammie, Astronomy; Physics
- Stephen P. Long, Plant Biology; Crop Sciences
Swanlund Endowed Chairs are made possible by a gift from the late Maybelle Leland Swanlund, who received a degree in Library Sciences from Illinois in 1932. Ms. Swanlund died in 1993 and provided a $12 million endowment to attract leaders in the arts and sciences to the University and to recognize current faculty members who have made exceptional contributions in their fields.
- May R. Berenbaum, Entomology
- Antoinette Burton, History
- Leon DeCosta Dash, Journalism
- Matthew Finkin, Law
- Nathan Gunn, Music
- James Imlay, Microbiology
- Klara Nahrstedt, Computer Science
- Gene E. Robinson, Entomology
- Nancy Sottos, Materials Science & Engineering
- Daniel Sullivan, Theatre
Fox Family Professor
The Fox Family Professorship was established through a gift from Peter B. and Kim Blackwell Fox, who are long-time supporters of the University of Illinois. The Fox Family Professorship is awarded to an individual whose scholarship and teaching focus on economic development entrepreneurship, and transfer of technology locally, in the state, and in the nation.
- Andrew Singer, Electrical & Computer Engineering
Gutgsell Chairs and Professors
Edward William and Jane Marr Gutgsell endowed appointments were established by Edward William and Jane Marr Gutgsell to promote faculty development and to ensure high achievement. Gutgsell professorships are five-year renewable term appointments and provide funds for scholarly activities associated with individual fields of distinction.
- Nancy Makri, Chemistry
- Nicholas Burbules, Education Policy, Organization & Leadership
- Virginia Dominguez, Anthropology
- Don Fullerton, Finance; IGPA
- Chrystalla Mouza, Curriculum and Instruction
- Cynthia Oliver, Dance
- Brent Roberts, Psychology
- M. Taher Saif, Mechanical Science & Engineering
Presidential Humanities and Social Science Chairs
The Presidential Humanities and Social Science Chair appointments were established through an endowment from the University of Illinois President to support humanities and social science scholars whose research focuses on innovation and discovery.
- Christopher Freeburg, English
- D. Fairchild Ruggles, Landscape Architecture
See previous recipients of University and Campus-wide Named Faculty Appointments.