Outstanding Faculty Leadership Award
The Outstanding Faculty Leadership Award recognizes a faculty member who has provided extraordinary leadership contributions across many dimensions of shared governance (e.g., committee work, chair of task force, service in the Senate) that advance the excellence of a unit, a college, and/or the campus, and who exemplifies the campus commitment to collaborative decision-making. This award is the highest accolade honoring a faculty member whose professional service has advanced progress toward the Illinois mission. The award includes an honorarium and a personalized commemorative plaque.
Contact your college to determine its deadline for departmental submissions.
March 1 – Deadline for college or campus-level unit nominations to be submitted.
*When a deadline falls on a weekend or campus holiday, nominations will be due the next business day.
- Tenure-system or specialized faculty member at Illinois
- Provided committed service of significant value in several instances (committees, task forces, etc.)
- Has not won this award in the previous 5 years
- Senate Executive Committee Chair and Senate Educational Policy Committee Chair are not eligible for this award, nor are campus-level administrators (e.g., in the offices of the Chancellor and Provost, or deans, or directors of centers such as Beckman and IGB, for example)
- Demonstration of the candidate’s strong commitment to shared governance
- Demonstrated ability of the candidate to work with multiple constituencies
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing the excellence of a unit, a college, and/or the campus through extraordinary leadership within a service capacity
- Exemplary leadership skills that aid groups of individuals to advance novel initiatives or needed change
Candidates may be nominated by other faculty member(s), a unit executive officer, or dean.
Nomination packets must include all materials described below, and should be formatted in 12-point Times New Roman or equivalent font; single-spaced; and 1-inch margins.
|A. Standard cover page||Attachment A||
|B. Nomination letter||Address evaluation criteria described above.||
|C. Self-statement from nominee||Discuss the value of shared governance and strategies for effecting change across diverse issues and among multiple constituencies within the institution.||
|D. Three letters of support from individuals such as:
· Faculty member
|Specific examples of the nominee’s commitment to shared governance and his/her ability to bring about effective change.||
|E. Supporting letter from college dean||Discuss nominee’s qualifications and how s/he meets criteria.||
Nominations must be submitted using the online form by 11:59 p.m. March 1. If this date falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline is 11:59 p.m. the next business day.
Nominations will be reviewed by the Campus Awards & Honors Committee, who will make a recommendation to the Provost. Recipient(s) and their nominator(s) will be notified by mid-April. Awards are presented at the annual Celebration of Academic Service and Leadership Excellence.
See previous recipients of Campus Awards for Excellence in Faculty Leadership.
For more information about Campus Awards for Excellence in Faculty Leadership, contact Kim Green in the Office of the Provost at firstname.lastname@example.org or (217) 244-3689.