Executive Officer Distinguished Leadership Award
The Executive Officer Distinguished Leadership Award recognizes outstanding academic leadership and vision by an executive officer within a college or campus unit. Recipient will be an exemplar of effective leadership who has led diverse groups through strategic improvements within her/his unit or campus. Up to two awards may be awarded annually. The award includes an honorarium and a personalized commemorative plaque.
- Current or recent (i.e., within the past three academic years) service as an Executive Officer of a department, school, program, or center;
- Has not won this award in the previous 5 years;
- Campus-level administrators (e.g., in the offices of the Chancellor and Provost, or deans) are not eligible.
- Fosters an environment wherein recruitment, development, and retention of students, faculty, and staff are key elements of the unit’s success;
- Builds innovative and dynamic curricula and research agendas;
- Takes the lead to promote excellence and diversity;
- Uses sound and innovative financial management and resource development strategies; and
- Demonstrates excellence in promoting and communicating the unit’s accomplishments and goals to the various stakeholders
The nomination is a two-stage process. The review committee will screen initial nominations; nominators will be notified whether their nominee will move forward to Stage 2.
Candidates may be nominated by faculty member(s) or dean(s). Self-nominations are not allowed. Nominators must notify the nominee that they are being nominated for a Faculty Leadership Award.
Stage 1 Requirements
- Each nomination must include a cover sheet. (Download from Box to complete.)
- A nomination letter/narrative that addresses the stated criteria and that demonstrates documentary evidence. (Max 3 pages.)
- Submit the nomination using the online form. The college’s dean must sign the nomination cover sheet (linked above in item 1) to indicate support of the nomination. A supporting letter from the dean is not required or accepted in Stage 1.
The review committee will determine semifinalists during the initial screening process. Nominators and nominees will be notified of their status after Stage 1 evaluations are complete.
Stage 2 Requirements
Nominators of semifinalists will be requested to submit the following:
- Nominee’s self-statement that discusses the nominee’s leadership philosophy, including guiding principles, key constituents, specific strategies, and desired results. (Max 2 pages.)
- Three letters of support from individuals other than the nominator, such as students, alumni, or faculty. Such letters should include specific examples to support the nominee’s distinction as an outstanding executive officer (e.g., leadership, vision, managerial skills, interpersonal skills, attitude, etc.). Letters of recommendation will only be accepted during Stage 2 submission. (Max 2 pages each.)
- A supporting letter from the dean that discusses the nominee’s qualifications and how they meet the criteria. The dean’s letter will only be accepted during Stage 2 submission. (Max 2 pages.)
- Submit the nomination using the online form by the deadline. Include the original cover sheet (submitted in Stage 1).
March 1 Extended to March 15 (2021 only) – Deadline for Stage 1 nominations to be submitted. Mid-March Early April (2021 only) – Nominators will be notified whether their nominee will move forward to Stage 2 as a semifinalist. April 15 May 1 (2021 only) – Deadline for Stage 2 packages (for semifinalists only) to be submitted.
*When a deadline falls on a weekend or campus holiday, nominations will be due the next business day.
See previous recipients of Campus Awards for Excellence in Faculty Leadership.
For more information about Campus Awards for Excellence in Faculty Leadership, contact Kim Green in the Office of the Provost at email@example.com or (217) 244-3689.