The Excellence in Faculty Mentoring Award recognizes a faculty member who has demonstrated an outstanding commitment to faculty mentoring by actively assisting pre-tenure and mid-career faculty in developing their career(s). Exceptional mentoring can include offering advice, feedback and guidance on research activities, coaching on work-life balance issues, providing professional opportunities for mentees, and/or assisting in development of teaching skills. The award includes an honorarium and a personalized commemorative plaque.
- Tenured faculty member at Illinois;
- Served as a faculty mentor, in a formal or informal capacity, to several junior and/or mid-career faculty over a continuous period at Illinois;
- Scholar with demonstrated success in the areas s/he mentors (e.g., research, teaching);
- Has not won this award in the previous 5 years;
- Campus-level administrators (e.g., in the offices of the Chancellor and Provost, or deans) are not eligible.
- A demonstrated commitment to fostering the intellectual, creative, scholarly, and professional growth of her/his mentees so that they may function effectively and with measurable success at Illinois and at the national/international level; and
- Evidence of sustained commitment to a professional mentoring relationship that results in career growth or personal development of mentees.
The nomination is a two-step process. The review committee will screen initial nominations; nominators will be notified whether their nominee will move forward to Stage 2.
A faculty mentor may be nominated by previous or current mentees, faculty colleagues, or their unit executive officer. Self-nominations are not allowed. Nominators must notify the nominee that they are being nominated for a Faculty Leadership Award.
Stage 1 Requirements
- Each nomination must include a cover sheet. (Download from Box to complete.)
- A nomination letter/narrative that addresses the stated criteria and that demonstrates documentary evidence. (Max 3 pages.)
- Submit the nomination using the online form. The college’s dean must sign the nomination cover sheet (linked above in item 1) to indicate support of the nomination. A supporting letter from the dean is not required or accepted in Stage 1.
The review committee will determine semifinalists during the initial screening process. Nominators will be notified of the status of their nomination after Stage 1 evaluations are complete.
Stage 2 Requirements
Nominators of semifinalists will be requested to submit the following:
- A self-statement from the nominee that discusses personal goals and accomplishments, philosophy, and/or outcomes associated with faculty mentoring activities.
- Three letters of support from individuals other than the nominator, such as past or present mentees; unit executive officer; or faculty colleagues. Letters of recommendation will only be accepted during Stage 2 submission. (Max 2 pages each.)
- A supporting letter from the dean that discusses the nominee’s qualifications and how they meet the criteria. The dean’s letter will only be accepted during Stage 2 submission. (Max 2 pages.)
- Submit the nomination using the online form by the deadline. Include the original cover sheet (submitted in Stage 1).
January 10 – Deadline for Stage 1 nominations to be submitted.
Early-February – Nominators will be notified whether their nominee will move forward to Stage 2 as a semifinalist.
March 1 – Deadline for Stage 2 packages (for semifinalists only) to be submitted.
*When a deadline falls on a weekend or campus holiday, nominations will be due the next business day.
|Award Recipient||Department||Award Year|
|Tandy Warnow||Computer Science||2023|
|Michelle Perry||Educational Psychology||2022|
|Shelly Schmidt||Food Science & Human Nutrition||2018|
|Jonathan Freund||Aerospace Engineering; Mechanical Science & Engineering||2017|
|Craig Dutton||Aerospace Engineering||2016|
|Huseyin Leblebici||Business Administration||2015|
For more information about Campus Awards for Excellence in Faculty Leadership, contact the Major Awards Coordinator in the Office of the Provost at email@example.com.